Yesterday’s Barnard Castle Social Media Café at the wonderful Jersey Farm Hotel was another well attended meeting. The cafés format was slightly different to all previous meetings in that we had a focused topic – “Why Small Business Owners Should Start Using Google+“.
With several new faces we started the meeting with a quick round the table introduction, where members introduced themself, their businesses and outlined what social media platforms they currently use. During the introductions various members explained that they weren’t 100% sure on how to use one of the most powerful business platforms – LinkedIn. To help members and other local business owners who are struggling to use LinkedIn effectively, The Social Media Consultancy Limited have setting up a ½ LinkedIn for Business Owners Workshop – keep an eye on our blog posts for more details on this.
Yesterday’s open discussion highlights:
- Graeme explained he was using all the main social platforms but needed to intergrate them better. Jayson explained that it was essential to have clearly define goals for all social media platforms.
- Sue a self-confessed technophobe explained she only used Facebook on a personal level but wanted to learn how to use social media for business. Jayson explained this was the ideal environment to get her started on a journey that would transform her business.
- Phil asked do users need a Google+ account to +1 someone. Jayson explained that it was necessary for users to have a Google+ account in order to +1, but if a user attempted to give a +1 without an account they would be presented with a sign-up / sign-in form.
After the introductions Jayson introduced Kim who delivered a informative presentation, which educated the members on why it was important for them to embrace the use of Google+ within their businesses.
Here were a few of the key points identified during Kim’s presentation, which engaged with those present and generated a good number of questions.
- Google+ will help improve your ranking in Google searches
- Personal / peer recommendations
- Better business page analytics using Google Analytics
- Ability to host your own live video conferences – ideal for training, meetings etc
- Superior customer segmentation
For those members who want to attend a hands-on training workshop to fast track their Google+ for Business experience here are the details of the course we mentioned.
Google+ (The Basics) for Small Business Owners
We would really like to hear back from our members on what they found useful at yesterday’s Barnard Castle Social Media Café. Don’t be shy folks please leave your thoughts and comments below.
Our Next Social Media Café is:
- Bishop Auckland Castle Social Media Café
- Date: Tuesday, 29 May, 2012 from 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM (GMT) Please note the date change
- Location: The Park Head Hotel | Coundon | Bishop Auckland | DL14 8QB